top of page

Can you share with us a specific project or accomplishment that you are particularly proud of and why?

The biggest accomplishment in my life is the Admaterials story. I established Admaterials Technologies Pte Ltd in 2008 with only 4 staff including myself. My team and I worked together as a family to build the company at a very fast rate to provide excellent service to our clients. In less than 8 years, Admaterials became one of the leading testing providers in Singapore covering materials, chemical, mechanical and environmental testing, as well as certification services for ready-mix concrete products, and consultancy services for applied R&D. The company was successfully acquired by Exova/Element in 2016 with 70% shares and the remaining 30% in 2019. Next Element Materials was 100% acquired by Temasek Holding in 2021 and Admaterials Technologies has been fully integrated into Element Materials.

How do you spend time outside of work?

I spend all my time with my family.

What do you think is the biggest factor affecting the TIC industry at the moment?

I believe the biggest factor affecting the TIC industry at the moment is unfair competition. In some countries, lack of regulation and control will put good TIC companies in a difficult position to compete with small local companies.

In three words only, what is the secret to your success?

Hardworking, honesty, learning.

Can you tell us about your background and how you got started in the TIC sector?

I graduated with a Bachelor of Engineering from Tongji University in 1984 and went to Germany as an exchange scholar during my master's course. I joined Tongji University as a young teacher in 1988 and taught the fractural properties of building materials and technical German for final year students until 1994. I then accepted an offer from SsangYong Cement in Singapore and in 1996, I was offered a job as Senior Officer by Singapore Productivity and Standards Board. As the team leader of the Building Materials Group, we offered testing and consultancy services to the Building Materials Industry in Singapore.

Our philosophy is to provide solutions instead of services to our clients and we helped them to grow so that we could grow.

Jin Ping Lu

Founder of Admaterials Technologies

Red Swan Partners recently caught up with LU, a TIC sector veteran with over 25 years of experience in the industry. LU shares his background, his biggest accomplishment, and some insights on leadership and team management.

How do you prioritize and manage your workload to ensure success?

Work smart! Always complete your job on time. Dragging or delaying any job will eventually cause you to spend more time.

Chance and opportunities have to be created for individuals to perform.

Can you speak to the biggest challenges you have faced in your career and how you overcame them?

The biggest challenge for me was starting as an entrepreneur. In 2008, when I started Admaterials Technologies Pte Ltd, I had no experience running a company. I had to learn from the beginning, for almost everything: finance, HR, operations etc. With support from my shareholders, colleagues, and friends, I learned very fast through time and hard work. This was really a treasure in my life which helped me to grow from an engineer to a businessman.

With support from my shareholders, colleagues and friends, I learnt very fast through time and hard work. This was really a treasure in my life which helped to grow me from an engineer to businessman.

What is your approach to leadership and team management?

We need to understand and analyze the needs of our team members. Helping our team members realize their goals will help the company to achieve its goals. The company has to grow together with the team members. Chances and opportunities have to be created for individuals to perform.

bottom of page